Character Descriptions for Carousel
- JULIE JORDAN -- Age Range 20-mid 30s. A real New England village girl, but 'deeper', quieter and more complex than her friends. Her infatuation for Billy turns to a love which is proof against his fatal character weaknesses and lives on many years after the tragedy. Soprano Vocal Range C4 to Gb5.
- BILLY BIGELOW -- Age Range 20-mid 30s. An earthy anti-hero with a reputation for being a lay-about and a ladies' man. He is a deeply troubled character ultimately redeemed by the love he could not communicate to his wife and unborn child. High Baritone Vocal Range G2 to G4..
- CARRIE PIPPERIDGE -- Age Range 20-mid 30s. As the stage direction says, 'a naive, direct and normal young woman of the period'. Julie's friend, her horizon is no further than domestic bliss with be-whiskered Mr. Snow. Soprano Vocal Range D4 to G5.
- MRS. MULLIN -- Age Range 30s-50s. The carousel owner; a middle-aged woman who believes that Billy is not only her employee, but her property. Non singing.
- ENOCH SNOW -- Age Range 20-mid 30s. Dour, respectable and ambitious in a small-town sort of way, he is an affectionate family-type too. Tenor Vocal Range B2 to A4.
- JIGGER CRAIGIN -- Age Range to early 40s.A real 'bad lot' who plays on Billy's weaknesses, deserts him when things go horribly wrong. Baritone Vocal Range C3 to G4.
- NETTIE FOWLER -- Age Range 40-60s. The motherly soul of the village. Mezzo Soprano Vocal Range C4 to G5.
- MR. BASCOMBE -- Age Range to 65. The self-important millionaire and richest man around. Non singing.
- HEAVENLY FRIEND / STARKEEPER -- Age Range to 60s. Billy's guides and mentors, who tell him the home-truths he really needs. Non singing.
- LOUISE -- 15-21 must be able to play 15 - 16 daughter of Julie and Billy, headstrong and not accepted by her peers. Strong ballet required, contemporary training a plus.
- CARNIVAL BOY -- 16-25 must be able to play 18 - 20. Slick good looking. Strong dance a must.
- WOMEN'S ENSEMBLE -- Age Range 16+. 6-8 women, strong vocals, dance a plus. Characters and solo singing will be cast from this group.
- WOMEN'S CORPS de BALLET -- Age Range 16-30. Strong dancers with ballet training required. Singing not required.
- MEN'S ENSEMBLE -- Age Range 16+. 6-8 men, strong vocals. Character and solo singing will be cast from this group.
- MEN'S CORPS de BALLET -- Age Range 16-30. Strong dancers with ballet training required. Singing not required.
- CHILDREN'S ENSEMBLE -- 4-6 children, ages 8 -- 15 years to play the Snow children and other background ensemble children. Light singing required. Dance a plus.
The 2019-2020 Season
(click on a show for details)
Jul 10, 2020
- Jul 26